Monday, May 9, 2016

The secrets your LinkedIn profile reveals…

There is no mystery about headhunting. You get an assignment and you start searching. I usually start by calling around in my network to see if I can identify some people that would be a great fit for the job. However, a few calls have never generated sufficient possible candidates to be able to ‘seal the deal’. A large part of my job is actively identifying potential candidates. As you may have imagined, Linked In is a vital source of information.

But why do I decide that one person may be the right one, based on nothing more than a social media profile…
As in real life, it is the first impression that counts. And my first impression is your summary.

It is the ideal opportunity to show the world who you are, what you value and where you want to go to. It is your stage to shine, to describe what makes you stand out from the crowd. Thousands of blogs have been written on how to write a killer summary so I won’t repeat the obvious.

But what is more important, your writing style will tell me the way you see the world around you. Research clearly indicates that the way you talk or write and the way you construct your sentences is very personal and it reveals your personality.

It starts with your choice of words. These choices are spontaneous and unconscious but they reflect who we are. Key words provide me with insights on your personality traits. Do you talk about ‘we’ or do you talk about ‘I’? Do you talk about leadership and empowerment or do you emphasize the measurable results. Text mining studies have found associations between key words and major aspects of personality. The more frequently people use those words, the more likely it is that they display certain personality traits.

Secondly, it is not only what you are saying that is important, it is also how you are saying it. There is a huge variety in people’s communication style, even if the words don’t differ that much. Some summaries exhume energy and enthusiasm while others are very structured and objective. And then I am not even mentioning the typo’s, the use of emoticons…

Those few lines, in the summary of your LinkedIn profile, will make me decide to approach you or not. So here is a little hint of advice: don’t let anybody else write that summary (or leave it blank…) you miss out on an excellent opportunity to impress not only me but anybody who would like to get in touch with you.


I look forward to hearing from you,
Isabel


Through a personalized and tailor-made approach, Ingenium Executive Search aspires to assist you in attracting the right talent that matches the DNA of your company

Check out our website http://www.ingenium-search.be
Follow me on Twitter @IngeniumSearch