Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Clichés and other lessons learned on the ski slopes

There are very few things that are as cliché as getting out of your comfort zone. Every day, you find newsletters that stress the importance of stretching yourself. I am not a fan of clichés but with the ski-season in full force, I got reminded again of the importance of challenging your limits.

I am not the world’s best skier (and that is putting it mildly). I only learned how to ski 4 years ago after decades of fiercely refusing.
Standing on top of a hill, looking down is way of out of my comfort zone. Every single time I need to take a deep breath before throwing myself into the deep end. My husband is usually cheering somewhere halfway, shouting good advice. I fall down and get back up, I take classes to get better and I focus on all the techniques that I learned over the years.
Being able to get downhill in a flowing motion makes me feel like I can conquer the world.

Sitting on the ski lift, I started thinking as how similar building up a career is to learning how to ski.
Every time you take up a new challenge is getting out of that comfort zone. It is using the experience that you have gained. It is all about developing yourself further through learning from others and about having people encourage you.

Although being a cliché, stretching yourself will allow you to perform better, to focus more. I hardly ever fall on a red slope mainly because I concentrate. I know that I will have to use everything that I have learned to make it downhill safely. On the slopes that I have successfully tried before, I get distracted and my mind wanders off…guaranteed recipe to fall down.
The different steps your career should be like trying different slopes. Some will prove to be easier than others but every single one should have some stretch in it to avoid that you get the ‘been there, done that’ feeling and that you loose focus.

Getting out of your comfort zone while keeping in mind the capabilities that you have but also knowing your limits will in the end get you to where you want to be.
If you are getting to comfortable at what you are currently doing, don’t hesitate to contact me and for the others…enjoy the ride.



I look forward to hearing from you,
Isabel

Through a personalized and tailor-made approach, Ingenium Executive Search aspires to assist you in attracting the right talent that matches the DNA of your company

Check out our website http://www.ingenium-search.be

Follow me on Twitter @IngeniumSearch