Tuesday, September 16, 2014

You never get a second chance to make a first impression...

Even Oscar Wilde knew that so many decades ago.
And I have never been more aware of this than last week when I pressed the ‘send’-button of the first blog.  It ranks under top most scary moments of my professional life. The horror of having a typo somewhere in the text…or links redirecting to another site…
Imagine the relief when I saw that many of you opened the newsletter, clicked to the website or sent me encouraging notes! Warm-hearted thanks!

It got me thinking of first impressions and their importance.

Traditionally first impressions are based on face2face encounters. From the way you walk in the door to the way you are dressed to the firmness of your handshake (no, crunching my hand is not considered acceptable), it all adds to the picture you present even before saying a word.

In this day and age though, you started painting that picture much earlier.

Only last week a candidate asked me whether I googled him prior to our call. Apparently he writes articles expressing his point of view on business.

Would I go as far as to google every candidate that I approach…not really. But the way you present yourself on LinkedIn does have an impact on my decision to contact you.

First trigger is of course the picture. It remains a mystery as to why people choose to put holiday snapshots, wedding pictures or cuddly kids photos as a profile picture on what is considered a professional oriented site.
And then comes the summary. Automatically I am triggered by the way you present yourself in these few lines.  It gives me a view on what you value most in your career.

Both of these elements give me a first glance of who you are. I may have never met you but I will have already pictured you in my mind. This image can still alter when I meet you. Actual conversation and body language are still far more powerful tools to assess people’s personality, their drives and ambitions. However, research shows that we jump to a series of conclusions in just two seconds. The powerful conclusions formed within those few seconds will continue to color our beliefs and influence our decisions.

So, if you want to know what image I have of you and whether it is ‘picture perfect’, don’t hesitate to contact me and we will go through it together. Or if you want to comment on the way I picture myself on-line, let me know!

I look forward to hearing from you,
Isabel







Through a personalized and tailor-made approach, Ingenium Executive Search aspires to assist you in attracting the right talent that matches the DNA of your company

Check out our website http://www.ingenium-search.be

Follow me on Twitter @IngeniumSearch

No comments:

Post a Comment